Director of Business Transformation
Location: Lochside View, Edinburgh
Salary (range): Negotiable
Since 2008, Scottish businesses have been able to choose their water and sewerage supplier. Scotland was the first country in the world to offer business customers this opportunity.
Following the deregulation of the English non-domestic water market in April 2017 we are actively targeting customers' south of the border. As part of this strategy we acquired Southern Water's non-domestic customer base (100,000 customers) in April 2017, which doubled the size of our customer base and provided a strong foothold for future growth. This was the first acquisition of its kind for a Public Sector organisation in Scotland and one of the largest M&A transactions for a Scottish business in 2017.
In January 2019 we announced the acquisition of the Yorkshire Water (YWBS) non-household customer base which will add an additional 140,000 customers, firmly positioning Business Stream as one of the top 3 water retailers in the UK market.
Since the English market opened, we have secured over £180 million of new business with customers including Royal Mail, Lloyds Banking Group, Network Rail, Greggs and Morrison's.
We currently employ over 370 people across three offices with turnover forecast at £380m for 2018/19, excluding the Yorkshire Water acquisition which will add a further £200m.
About The Role
You will report directly to the Chief Executive Officer and lead the effective design and implementation of a series of business change initiatives, focusing on three key areas of change: achieving Operational Excellence; delivering market leading customer experience and optimising our cost to serve.
Working in partnership with the other members of the Executive team, you will contribute to a highly collaborative culture where we jointly focus on our shared purpose and objectives.
The successful candidate will:
- Develop the Business Transformation Directorate as a leading enabler of change and continuous improvement across all aspects of people, process and technology
- Lead on the cultural transformation of our business, developing a high performing culture of inclusion, customer centricity and continuous improvement, helping us to maintain our competitive edge
- Develop an engagement and capability building programme that helps us achieve our aspirations for cultural transformation
- Effectively prioritise and deliver small changes that make a big impact for our staff and our customers
- Ensure we have the People, Processes, Technology and supporting Systems in place to help us grow organically and through acquisition, ensuring our approach to change delivers the targeted value from our growth strategies.
- Design and deliver an IT transformation strategy which simplifies our IT architectural estate and optimises our total cost of ownership.
- Provide strong leadership to our IT Team through this journey ensuring the provision of a stable operating platform to meet our current and future customer needs.
- Develop and grow our internal change capability to reduce our dependency on external consultancy support.
- Lead our People and Development team, ensuring that we have a clearly articulated People strategy which is aligned to our corporate goals.
You will be a senior executive with experience of designing and leading change within a fast performing business with a tight budget and implementing and sustaining successful transformation initiatives which deliver financial benefits and improve customer experience and colleague engagement.
You will also:
- Have extensive knowledge of developing, using and promoting change leadership and business improvement techniques, across a range of applicable sectors.
- Have experience of driving transformational change in culture and leadership behaviours, not just technology and process, to achieve a growth strategy.
- Have wide ranging knowledge and experience of leading large change and capability building programmes, with demonstrable impact on customer service, operational performance, efficiency and effectiveness.
- Demonstrate your experience of designing and delivering an IT transformation strategy and roadmap, which achieved the dual aims of simplifying an IT architectural estate and optimising the total cost of ownership.
- Be up to date in the latest DART (Digital, Automation, Robotics and Technology) developments and able to demonstrate examples of successfully implementing these.
- Have strong leadership and influencing skills, able to deal with multiple stakeholder requirements whilst demonstrating excellent engagement skills across all levels in an organisation, demonstrating gravitas and credibility.
- Role model the ability to collaborate effectively as part of one team across the organisation, working to break down functional silos so that processes flow and improvements are implemented effectively.
- Communicate to the business the need for change; involving and enthusing different personality types at different stages in the transformation. Able to balance the agility of strategic decision making with a rigorous thought process.
- Be able to deliver a balanced performance today whilst building capabilities for the future.
- Be experienced at leading People Development strategies that range from engagement in cultural transformation to being able to effectively manage a team responsible for providing day to day People & Development support.
- Be experienced at leading an IT team with a dual focus on service delivery and transformation to support out growth targets.
Closing Date - Monday 25th February at 5pm