Trade Effluent Consent

If your business discharges waste liquid to public sewers, you may need a trade effluent consent

Understanding Trade Effluent charges

Charges for discharging Trade Effluent into public sewers can be complex, they vary quite widely depending on your region, and they can be significant. If you're making your first application for consent, it's best to check the charge rates in your area before making your application. If you're unsure about anything, feel free to contact us in advance of your application for guidance.

How to apply

To apply for consent, or change your existing consent, please download the relevant application form below and complete online. Please send your completed application form to

If you'd prefer to send your application back to us via post, please send to Trade Effluent team, Business Stream, PO Box 17381, Edinburgh, EH12 1GT.



What happens next?

We’ll process your application as quickly as we can. To ensure a hassle-free process, it’s important to complete all required fields on your application form and that any relevant attachments are provided, including any drainage drawings.

Your wholesaler will contact you directly to issue your consent. You’ll be kept in the loop during the process and if you have any questions please contact us.

When you have consent, your charges for waste water will change – you can get in touch with us to find out more.